The need for mobile game apps development has exploded, thanks to the addictive nature of the games and widespread acceptance of playing games on the mobile. Millions of games applications have been and are being developed for different smartphones and among them, Android has a lionâ€™s share. No wonder Android is highly popular among other device makers and users alike. All credit goes to Google for bringing such a smart and flexible technology. A whooping majority of Android video games are free and from the remaining ones, free levels are available which with highly customized and compelling features, hook the usersâ€™ attention.
Android is open source and has a worldwide Smartphone market share of 75% in 2013, with 500 million devices activated in total and 1.3 million activations per day. 103 Android apps are downloaded every second. South Korea is the most app-crazed country, followed by Hong Kong, Taiwan and the U.S. The Android operating system consists of 12 million lines of code including 3 million lines of XML, 2.8 million lines of C, 2.1 million lines of Java and 1.75 million lines of C++!
If you thought these stats regarding Android are amazing, letâ€™s take a look at some interesting facts about mobile game development, in general:
- Mobile gaming revenue would shoot up dramatically in a couple of years. A market research firm reported recently that game sales on tablet and mobile phones touched $900 million approximately in 2010 and this figure is double of what it was in 2005. This research firms expect the sales to hit $1.5 billion by 2014-15.
- The multiplayer games are becoming highly successful indicating the fact that people like to play games with their friends. Some of these games are topping the charts, irrespective of whether they are free or paid. With social being the in-thing now, multiplayer games would rock the rating charts.
- It is the free-to-play games that provide a larger portion of the revenue to the App stores. The games offered for free make up 65% of the revenue. Although the game can be played for free, the revenue is earned by way of the goods purchased virtually inside the game app or by way of ads. The top titles in the App store that are considered gross contributors are free-to-play games.
- Big companies such as Rovio, Chillingo and BigFish do not spend anything on advertising yet they are able to send their apps to the TOP10 in the US App store. This is done by using their existing applications to promote the newly developed apps.
- The mobile apps being developed for the 2G/3G/4G network connection have to be tested qualitatively and this process involves using them on highways, on trains and even through tunnels.
- Although HTML5 technology is considered the latest technology for developing games, it is not appropriate for developing high end games because of performance issues.
- Certified psychologists are being employed by professional gaming developers to help them with the tutorials and game start issues. It is observed that most gamers are more engaged during the first session of play and this increases their chances of turning into paid gamers.
- A gameâ€™s sanctity or genuineness is adjudged from its position in the App store. If an app holds a high rank position for a few days, it is considered to be genuine and not a scam.
- The free-to-play games are no doubt more popular than the paid ones as only 3% of the gamers pay money for mobile games. However, the consumers that do spend money on freemium games contribute around $14 per transaction on an average in purchasing goods-in-app.
- In an effort to optimize their monetization process, many developers use the process of checkout on known and credible websites like eBay and Amazon.
- The Android game developers carry our pre-installation deals with various carriers as a strategy to distribute games on the Android devices.
- Rovio, the developer of the very popular game, Angry Birds is moving on from becoming just a mobile app development company to an entertainment company as it is earning high revenues through the sale of gadgets, licensed and all kinds of angry bird toys.
- One of the best ways to get large number of consumers to try a newly launched game is an invitation sent via SMS. The strategy to send SMSs works equally well for a game or a mobile app.
With each passing day, the mobile phone industry is witnessing alarming growth as the technology it runs on, evolves and matures. With the increase in the popularity of the Android phones, the number of apps available for the platform also has rocketed. Popular Android games used across the globe are Enemy Lines, Top Defense, Dungeon Hunter 4, Guncrafter, Jetpack Joyride, Dark Avenger, Best shooter, Retro favorite etc. Android beat out Apple’s iOS and other operating systems by a considerable pace.
Top mobile app development companies are investing time and effort in mobile game app development. Millions of developers work for this industry and make some of the best games so that users keep returning to play the games again and again. Most Android users have a favorite game – be it a puzzle game, titles from arcade and action genre or sports simulations – highly likely that there is a game which has captivated every user in some way. With Android tablets and smartphones picking up steam, Android game developers have pressed ahead on exploring Android game development more innovatively than ever.
Android has leveraged its developer community to build wide-ranging gaming apps that run on a whole variety of devices. Whether its pushing the envelope with space age graphics, or exploring 3D inside out, Android game development is always exploring higher limits. Android game development is a hot field of innovations, a challenge for apps builders and developers across the world. Credited with turning over 300 out of the box concepts into powerful Android mobile apps, you must bank on Android game developers to deliver the best launching pad to Android gaming app.